Care of Your Ocular Prosthesis
Routine prosthesis care and maintenance is crucial to maintaining a healthy eye socket. Prosthetics will accumulate a buildup of calcium and protein from your natural tear film, and this matter needs to be polished away to keep the socket in good health.
To remove your prosthesis:
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Apply suction holder to center of prosthesis.
- Holding suction holder with one hand, pull down lower lid.
- Slide prosthesis down and out from underneath upper lid.
To clean prosthesis:
- Rinse prosthesis thoroughly with warm water.
- Rub with a mild soap to clean away debris and hand oils. EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTABLE SOAPS?
- Rinse prosthetic thoroughly.
To re-insert prosthesis:
- Apply suction holder slightly below center of iris.
- Lift upper lid and slide prosthesis up underneath.
- When prosthesis has been pushed under upper lid, release upper lid and pull lower lid down.
- Set prosthesis in place.
- Squeeze suction holder to release from prosthesis.
Download a PDF instruction sheet.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Andersen Eye Associates proudly serves the Greater Saginaw region including Flint, Frankenmuth, Bay City, Midland, Bridgeport, Bad Axe, Mount Pleasant, and surrounding areas.